Monday 7 August 2017

From fleece to Yarn.

For quite a while now I have enjoyed knitting and crocheting and generally making things using yarns/wool. I have made things for myself such as jumpers and cardigans


              

I have also enjoyed making stuffed toys and children's clothes

                                            
                             Flower fairies                




                                    


                                                             





Since getting our house in Ireland I have become more interested in sourcing my own yarn and after speaking with our neighbours there who farm sheep and know only too well the fact that the cost of shearing a sheep is more than the price of the fleece.
Sheep need to be sheared but the farmer usually makes a loss in doing so. Our neighbours are fortunate in that they have 3 sons who are all able to shear sheep, in fact two of their sons have won shearing competitions and have very recently represented Ireland in sheep shearing competitions.
I have been very lucky too that in the new house I am able to have a whole room for me to use as a craft room - to me that means all my crafts can live in one room and when I finish at the end of the day I can close the door and leave it and not have to clear away to make room for something else.

Last week I spent a lovely day out in Wales learning a new skill.
The course was entitled Spinning - the basics and I have to say it was a thoroughly enjoyable day. 
I drove about an hour and a half south from where I live to a place not far from Hay on Wye.  My destination was a sheep farm high up in the Brecon Beacons and boy what a view they have.

 



                                                                                                 

Dunja at All in a spin was our host for the day and me and 3 other budding spinners  were definitely in safe hands. She started off explaining about the different types of fleeces there were and we were able to look and feel the fleeces. In fact from the studio we could look out and look at a some of the sheep that the fleeces had come from. 
                             

We then learnt how to prepare the fleeces for spinning, which part of the fleeces were the best and how to wash them.
Then we learnt how to card the fleece. Carding involves separating and straightening sheep’s wool with two brushes so that it can be used to make yarn for knitting. These brushes closely resemble pet hair brushes but are made specifically for preparing wool fibres.
                               

Next we got to grips with a spinning wheel and learnt how to use our feet to spin the wheel and our hands to feed the fleece slowly on and turn it into a single ply yarn. This process took a little while to master and could be likened to trying to rub your stomach at the time as patting the top of your head......it takes a while.

It was a lovely environment to work in and Dunja was incredibly patient with us as we did seem to be slow learners. 

                                    



                           

Once we had managed to fill two bobbins with a single yarn it was time to ply them together to make them resemble  what I would know as 2ply yarn. 
Once this was done and we had each got a bobbin of 2 ply yarn we used a Niddy Noddy to move the yarn from the bobbin into a skein of yarn. What is a niddy noddy? Well Wikipedia explains it perfectly 

"niddy-noddy (plural niddy-noddies) is a tool used to make skeins from yarn. It consists of a central bar, with crossbars at each end, offset from each other by 90°. The central bar is generally carved to make it easier to hold.

                      

After a really informative day I came away with my own skein of hand spun yarn. I so enjoyed it, I would love to be able to get my own spinning wheel and do some more spinning. 

                                                     



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and I look forward to your comments :)