Tuesday 8 May 2012

Its just a song

Isn't it strange how hearing a song can take you back in time so quickly. Whilst on watch to day I managed to tune into a great radio station, the music was such a varied mix, I found myself transported back to many different events in my life. Clicking on each title should take you to a Youtube version of this song.

 1) Love Shack by the B52s

This song took me back to 1989 when I was just 15/16 years old. I was going out with my first boyfriend Mark. I used to follow him and his mate around whilst they did their paper rounds! I'm still friends with Mark actually, he is in the army now and married with a family living in Germany. Very strangely he has the same birthday as my hubby. Hearing it took my back to happy carefree times with the whole future ahead of me.

2)Take it Easy by The Eagles

In the late 1990's my brother spent several summers on the Greek island of Zakynthos. He and his mate Mark (another Mark!) played guitars and sang and formed a band called Bomba Blue. They played in different bars around the island. I went out to visit several times and this song is one of the numbers they did. The reason I remember it so well is that it is one of the few songs that my brother actually sang himself. He has a great voice but never sang that many songs. So this always reminds me of him and hot weather and sunny skies!

3) Mr Blue Sky by ELO

This is definitely a 'going on holiday in the car' song. When my grandparents lived down in Cornwall we would make the 4-5 hours journey down there to visit several times a year and of course we had lots of music cassettes in the car to listen to. As children of course we were ruled by our parents choice of music so ELO, Bread, Roy Orbison and Richard Clayderman were all part of the 'car music system'.
Hearing this song took me instantly back to a motorway journey on the M5 south passing certain landmarks along the way and knowing we hadn't got long to wait til we were there! My dad always had his seat right back so woe betide the child who sat behind him and accidentally kneed him in the back. Watch out the arm to come sweeping round to move your legs out the way!

4) Hungry Eyes from Dirty Dancing

When I heard this song I had very mixed emotions.
Little did I know back in 1987/88 when my mum brought home a video called Dirty Dancing how much effect this film would have on my life. I can't be the only person who saw it and instantly fell in love with Patrick Swayze. I lost count of how many times I watched that film and I so wanted to be Baby's character and have a chance to dance with him. Of course I always believed that he was beckoning to me  -


Both Mum and I swooned over Patrick for years. We even went down to London to see him when he was in Guys and Dolls. It was brilliant and I remember how excited I was to be so close to him and my mum will be forever sad that the time of the last train home meant we couldn't wait to see him at the stage door.
This song made me think back to that day and also to the film but also it made me sad. We were both so sad to hear Patrick was ill with pancreatic cancer and we would check news about him regularly to see how he was doing.
I remember waking up to the news he had died and shedding a few tears and then having to phone my mum to tell her because I knew she wouldn't have heard the news.
Patrick you were a Star!


I have never been a big Michael Jackson fan but when I heard this song it took me right back to primary school. My best friend Sarah had an older brother (his name was Mark too) and he and his friends were big Jackson fans. They had managed to get a copy of the Thriller video and we all packed into their living room to watch this video of Thriller. I remember being a little scared but also thinking what a great video and song it was. Watching it again in researching this blog I can't believe I wasn't more scared and also just how young does Michael look!! Amazing!

So what songs take you back and where do they take you to?















2 comments:

  1. Try Rod Stewart, Maggie May and Sailing with you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom Jones and Sex Bomb, because it was my old ring tone when Sharla phoned!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and I look forward to your comments :)