Friday 30 December 2011

Local sealife

Our ships have been running into Alexandra docks, Hull for years and I can always remember seeing a single seal swimming about in the dock. To enter the dock you have to pass through a lock so perhaps it would swim through with a ship, come to see what's on the other side. It sometimes would slither up a small ramp and lie basking for an hour or so.
This morning whilst taking a quick walk along the quay something caught my eye and there around the stern of my ship was a seal. I took a little video which I have uploaded to YouTube.
Look up Seal@alex Docks,Hull on YouTube
I do however have a couple of photos.
Later in the afternoon, I looked out of my window to see a small congregation of men, nothing too strange about that except they were all gathered in the corner of the dock looking at something. When I looked closer it was the seal again but this time it was at the top of the set of stone steps!
I walked over to have a look, nodding hello as I approached. 'got any fish' said one bloke jokily.
I'm not sure if it was the same seal as I'd seen earlier, it looked a bit smaller to me. Anyway the group of men were local stevedores working on the timber ship next to us, they were concerned it was out of the water and would get lost among the huge piles of timber. Of course when they came near it, it bared it's teeth and growled just like a dog. They had long pieces of timber and although they didn't prod the seal they fended it away from themselves and back towards the water.
One man made me laugh because the seal turned and went down the side of a pile of wood towards this chap and he started running away! I wondered what on earth he thought the seal was going to do to him.
Anyway after about 10 minutes of standing about with these chaps, the seal pushed off and went back into the water.
I wonder if it'll go out in the lock with the next ship?
There is a big grey seal colony to the south of the mouth of the River Humber - Donna Nook -

At this time of year the pups are leaving the colony. At the last count there had been over 1000 pups born at Donna Nook this year.

Check out this website to find out more http://lincstrust.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and I look forward to your comments :)