Tuesday 31 January 2012

Fundraising for the RNLI

Not surprisingly perhaps, my charity of choice is the Royal National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI). I've always supported them and since I moved to Shropshire 6 years ago I've become more involved with my local fundraising branch.
For the past 2 years I've held a coffee morning for them plus attended other fundraisers too.
During the middle of last year I was approached to become a member of the committee. Apparently they were looking for a younger person with some new ideas! I gladly accepted and have enjoyed being involved in planning our fundraisers and also putting forward some ideas too.

I've recently set up a Facebook page for our branch which has started to have a few hits. It is my plan to advertise all our fundraising events on this page and to keep the more technically minded RNLI supporters upto date with our fundraising news.

Click here for : Our RNLI Church Stretton Branch  Facebook page
Make sure you click that you 'like' the page!
This past Saturday was our latest fundraiser which was in aid of the RNLI annual fundraiser SOS day. We decided to organise a Sing Our Songs event. A local Eukele band called The Shropshire Strummers very kindly offered their services free and came along to entertain us. They bring along songbooks so the audience can join in with the singing. People were in fine voice and although most of the songs did have a sea theme some where a bit more fun and unusual!





Click here for : The Shropshire Strummers webpage


We had between 60 & 70 people come along on Saturday. All committee members brought along trays of food for an interval buffet.
Our buffet


A great evening was enjoyed by us all and we were able to raise £436 for the RNLI.

One chap who was there is going to be doing an epic bike ride in May in aid of the RNLI and  I'm hoping to have more information soon to put on our page.









Our next fundraising event will be a Fish N Chip supper on March 3rd.  Our guest speaker this year will be a lifeboatman from Wales.



1 comment:

  1. Not surprising you need to find more time for yourself. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and I look forward to your comments :)