Saturday 28 April 2012

Clinker

We arrived in Dunkirk on Thursday evening. I had an eventful watch across the Dover Straits which included seeing hubbys ships sailing past at about 10 miles away.
The Dover Straits is like the equivalent to the M25 - it is always busy with ships. Those heading in a South westerley direction do so in a lane nearest the English coast and those ships heading North do so in a lane closest to the French coast.  I should point out perhaps that the lanes are not marked out like lanes at a swimming pool, they are marked on a navigational chart very clearly and the occasional navigational buoy will mark the edge or centre of the channel. When crossing the lanes from England to France you have to do so at 90degrees to the flow of traffic so it is clear what you are doing. You only do that however if it is safe to do so.
So when I came down to cross from England to France there were loads of ships about.

Electronic chart showing my ship
position and our intended route in
green across the Dover Straits
There are Rules of the Road like the Highway code at sea so when I was crossing the South west lane it was the duty of all the ships coming south bound to keep out of my way but once I was crossing the North east lane it was my responsibility to alter course for any ships in that lane that were on a collision course with us.
So I started altering course for one ship and then I was on a collision course with another so I came round a little more and that made me on a collision course with yet another ship! It only takes about an hour or so to cross the lane but it was full of actitvity and I really really enjoyed it, Its what i love most about this job. Problem solving. Making sure I don't crash into anything or run aground!

So I went off watch at 8pm just before the pilot boarded to take us into the port. By the time I came on watch at 0400 we were safely alongside and waiting for the French stevedores to turn up to start loading the clinker.
At 0500 there was a flurry of activity with a few forms to sign and off we started. By the time i went off watch at 1200 we had just about finished.
Our cargo of clinker waiting to be loaded
Our hold nice and clean ready to load

The first grab of clinker
A piece of clinker

Hubby's ship sailing by - so close and yet so far
When I came back on watch at 8pm last night we were already back on the English coast heading for the Thames and guess who came sailing past again -  Hubby! He was also Thames bound too.
By 0400 this morning we had reached Gravesend. A pilot came out to meet us and take us the last few miles up the river to Purfleet to discharge the cargo, We are moored right beside the QE2 bridge at Dartford. We have no more orders for cargo and the weather forecast is not good so we are not sailing today. Hubby is further back down the river and is not sailing either.
A view of the conveyor belt which carries the cargo ashore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and I look forward to your comments :)