Thursday 29 March 2012

Applestroodling

It must be almost a year now since I first heard about Applestroodle. I've been trying to remember where I heard about it but I can't, it must have been an advert somewhere local.
When I say Applestroodle I'm not talking about food here, I'm talking about an adult improvisation workshop which takes place near where I live every fortnight.

It is organised by a local theatre company Appletree and led by a young local actor - Mighty M.

I've always really enjoyed acting, I was involved in school productions and also was a member of a local amateur dramatics group outside of school. However life takes over and of course when I was at sea it was difficult to be a member of any group or club.
When Applestroodle first started, there was only about 5 or 6 of us but this term our group has doubled in size with the attendance of several youngsters from a local college. We have such fun together and laugh, we laugh a lot!

We meet during term time and although we are having a laugh, it is structured so we are learning stuff but without really realising.
At the moment one of my favourite activities that we do is 'party quirks'. One person acts as hosts and we are given a quirk to act out. Sometimes they are very easy  but sometimes they are very bizarre and hard to guess.

Last night at Applestroodle we did competitive party quirks. We were split into groups of 4 and had to write out 3 party quirks for another team. When it came to our turn my quirk was fairly easy, I was Austin Powers, so i just goofed my teeth and kept saying 'hey baby'' groovy baby'.

Another game on a similar theme is taxi driver. Once again we are all given a particular 'quirk' and one of us is a taxi driver. The taxi driver has a quirk of their own but when they pick up the first passenger they have to work out and then also take on the quirk of that passenger, Then another passenger gets in the car and they exisiting occupants have to take on that passengers quirk and so on until there are 4 passengers in the taxi. Then it happens all over again in reverse order as one by one each passenger gets out of the taxi! It is so funny and last night one of the funniest moments was one lady who was playing the taxi driver who's quirk was that she was slowly inflating!!
My quirk was that I was a Siamese Twin!!

At the end of the night we had some photos taken to be used on the website to help advertise Stroodle a bit more. We had some odd props to use as well which was funny and did little group shots finishing with a photos of us all piled on top of each other. I'm sorry to the person at the bottom of the pile - it must have been painful!


Take a look at the Appletree Theatre website!  and keep an eye out for the mad Applestroodle photos!



1 comment:

  1. Hehe, loved reading about this. Applestroodle is actually the best thing ever :D xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and I look forward to your comments :)