Tuesday 13 March 2012

...but I turned it off

This is my first attempt at the 100 word challenge for Grown Ups from Julias Place
The word prompt was.....but I turned it off....


The stairs creaked as I descended.
My unslippered feet feeling for the edge of each step, as I sank slowly and warily into the dark with only the faint light of the moon through a small window for company.
What had woken me from my deep dream-ridden slumber?
A sudden bang? Low murmuring voices?
The sitting room door was still closed but under the threshold came the flickering light of the TV........but i turned it off............I'm sure I had.
I took a deep breath, placed my hand around the cold door knob, gently eased the door open and froze.

5 comments:

  1. Great suspense writing here. My mind is whizzing with what's waiting in the shadows...
    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but you can't just leave it there, can you?

    I love your lunch table in the sun, we had ours in the conservatory, wasn't it a glorious day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A marvelous build-up.
    And a challenge: how to continue this story? What would not be an anticlimax? The imagination boggles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, creepiness to the extreme, very well paced with a cliffhanger end. Great! (_Judee, writetuit)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great opener ... what or who? Curious minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and I look forward to your comments :)