Sunday 11 March 2012

The First Day......

Today was the first day we have had lunch out in the garden this year. I would never have thought it would be possible in March but there again the weather today has not felt much like March.

We have been working out in the garden for the last few days,making the most of the sunshine, doing the jobs that we probably should have done before winter set in.

We're not keen, knowledgeable gardeners but we do like a few pretty flowers around about and for the past 3or 4 years I have become a vegetable gardener. I pick up tips from a very lovely neighbour Mrs M down the road, her garden is always immaculate. Last year hubby told her that our hanging baskets would be far better than hers and then turned round to me and told me to order some nice plants to put in hanging baskets so they were better than Mrs M's. Well needless to say I rose to the challenge and although I thought our baskets were very colourful, no independent adjudicator was available to decide who won the battle of the flowers!
Many of foot patients grow their own veg, I have often been the lucky recipient of excess crops. They are a good source of information too, I often ask, 'so what are you planting now?' and then dash home and start planting mine too.
So today I was digging over our raised veg patches, designing in my mind where to put the next crop of veg. I noticed hubby had disappeared inside and wondered what he was up to. As I continued digging I noticed him emerge into the garden and start moving the table and chairs from under our covered patio area to the open patio in the sunshine. Mm I thought, he is definitely up to something. Eventually I got the call and wandered from the veg garden out to the patio.

What a sight to behold. Lunch was served on a table, with a tablecloth and wine!! What decadence!


It was delicious and a lovely excuse to have a break from digging and relax in the sun. My neighbours have gone off in search of sun abroad, they needn't have bothered today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and I look forward to your comments :)